I saw a picture on Marilyn Armstong’s WordPress that I really liked in black and white. Typically, people do not favor landscapes in black and white but I am one of the oddities. I genuinely love black and white photography. I decided to blog today on another passion of mine that gives me creative license to be different.
- “In photography, there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality.”
— Alfred Stieglitz
This is a picture I took of a seagull when we were visiting Cape May, New Jersey. It has only been cropped and watermarked in the above picture. I love watching them swoop in the breeze over the ocean.
This is the same picture with it sharpened and brightened.
This is the same picture in black and white without any sharpening or added filtering.
This is the final image with denim filtering over the black and white picture. This is my favorite take on the picture because of the way the filter allows the black and white to maintain intensity while adding just a minute coloring to the sky in the backdrop.Photo
Photography to me is like creating a poem. One poet may choose one word and another a different word leaving everything else the same but the poem will have a different feel to the reader.
- “There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.”
— Ansel Adams
- “When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”— Ansel Adams
- “You don’t take a photograph. You ask quietly to borrow it.”
- “To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.”
— Elliott Erwitt
- “When I photograph, what I’m really doing is seeking answers to things.”
— Wynn Bullock
I know for me when my muse is being resistant I grab my camera and open my mind to different surroundings and when I look at them through the focus of a lens my muse engages.
Thank you Marilyn for the inspiration. I hope you check out her landscapes and let me know which you love best.